CAMERA, LENSES AND ATTACHMENTS (12%)
Items relating to this category will include digital cameras as well as the various lenses, menu settings and attachments that might be utilized on either type of camera.
Preparing for PPA Certification: Cameras, Lenses & Attachments A.1.
A. Select the appropriate camera for subject matter and output requirements. (3 items)
1. Knowledge of the types and specifications of digital cameras appropriate for photographic assignments (file size, sensor size, sensor type)
Preparing for PPA Certification: Cameras, Lenses & Attachments B.1.
B. Select the appropriate lens based upon size and distance of subject matter as well desired perspective. (5 items)
1. Knowledge of the types of lenses and their impact in terms of different effects
2. Knowledge of the limits of lenses (i.e., angle of view)
– Field of view
3. Knowledge of how to control distortions created by height, distance, and angle of camera relative to subjects
4. Knowledge of the effects of depth of field based on f-stops
5. Knowledge of hyperfocal distance
6. Knowledge of how size of the image sensor influences the magnification of the lens
Preparing for PPA Certification: Cameras, Lenses and Attachments C.1.
C. Use camera, camera menu settings, and camera supports to create a quality image. (3 items)
1. Knowledge of camera controls and settings
2. Knowledge of the effects of extreme temperatures or humidity upon operation of equipment
3. Knowledge of appropriate use of camera supports (tripods, gyroscopes, monopods, bean bags, etc)
4. Knowledge of methods used to set white balance
– White balance target (gray card)
– Calibration disc (e.g., expo disc)
– Color temperature
5. Knowledge of the impact on file size and format (TIFF, JPEG, Raw, etc) on final image
Preparing for PPA Certification: Cameras, Lenses and Attachments D.1.
D. Select and use the appropriate lens attachment (1 item)
1. Knowledge of lens modifiers (e.g., bellows, hoods, polarizing filters, protective filters, UV filters, vignetting, neutral density, extension tubes, etc.)