Please review thoroughly!
Please Note: The PPANM Annual Photographic Competition is open to all photographers, however, only PPANM Members are eligible for trophies and awards. Please log in to our PPANM Member Services site and confirm your membership in PPANM.
The purpose of the Photographic Open Competition is to allow photographers to enter digital photographic images and digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. Through this competition, PPANM members are also eligible for trophies, ribbons, and PPANM Fellowship Points.
These rules pertain to images entered as digital files created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured electronically with a digital camera or scanner:
1. All entries must be registered at www.printcompetition.com.
2. Entrants may only submit digital files for judging.
3. Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image entered.
4. No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
5. Once an image has been awarded a score of 80 or above in PPA District or IPC competition, or any previous PPANM Annual Photographic Competition, it may not be entered into the PPANM Annual Competition. This includes any image from an album scoring 80 or higher.
6. Entrants do not need to be PPANM members to compete in the Photographic Open Competition, however, only PPANM members are eligible for trophies and awards.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure or exposures.
2. All processing, manipulation and printing or rendering, were done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
3. The entrant has obtained and has access to all necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold PPANM harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of PPANM’s display, publication and promotion or other use of each image submitted to PPANM.
4. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
5. A maximum of eight entries is allowed in the Photographic Open Competition.
6. No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed. Images created in an educational environment under direct supervision from an instructor are ineligible.
7. New: This year, any entry that has been created from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic, digital background, or any other artwork produced by another person may be used, but PLEASE NOTE: all elements NOT created by the maker must be shown as a guide image on the mat. (See example, right.)
8. New: Entries of the same subject in multiple images will be allowed, as long as the images are entirely different. (Background, location, clothing, and concept).
9. Entry media includes digital files, and digital albums.
Registration opens in January. All registration takes place at: www.printcompetition.com.
PHOTOGRAPHIC OPEN COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry.
PORTRAIT: Consists of portrait or wedding images.
ILLUSTRATIVE: Consists of commercial/industrial images, scenics, pictorials, digital paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and weddings are not appropriate for this category.
REPORTAGE/PHOTO JOURNALISM: Images that illustrate an actual public or non-public event, life, an area of human interest, telling news that have meaning on the context or record of events, high impact and/or lasting emotional response. Images that illustrate sporting events are included in this category. ONLY basic color and brightness adjustments, cropping, dodging, and burning in are allowed. Only single-capture images will be accepted. Composite and multiple exposure images will not be accepted. The original captured image (in RAW or jpg) must be available if requested by the committee.
ALBUM: albums consist of social events, such bar mitzvahs, etc. or albums of portrait and storytelling albums.
– Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files will be accepted when necessary so long are they are JPG/10.
– Files are to be named, Image 1.JPG No underscores or special characters
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
See Video Tutorial: PPA.com/IPC_tutorials
All albums must be submitted in digital form
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
- Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album Title.zip (e.g. Summer Wedding.zip).
- Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
- Each entrant must use the same title when entering a multi‐maker album.
VIEWING CONDITIONS FOR IMAGE REVIEW
For color management help, see Video Tutorial: PPA.com/IPC_tutorials
- Digital Files: Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma
DEADLINES AND FEES
- $10.00 per image for PPANM members registered by Feb. 16, 6:00 pm MST.
-PPANM is holding three competitions: Photographic Open Competition, Artist Competition and Wedding Competition. Entrants may enter up to eight entries in each competition.
-Entries include any combination of digital entries and digital album entries.
– $10.00 per image for image critiques. Please allow 4 weeks following the completion of the competition.
Check out the entire list of awards from the PPANM Annual Photographic Competition.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the PPANM Photographic Competition Chairman is final.